Sunday, May 14, 2017

Communication

I have been thinking about this blog and how much to share.  One of the last posts talked about my relationship with my husband.  After much consideration, I have decided that so much of what we experience shape how we react to one another.  There are days when I am not fit company for man nor beast and he has those days too.  Then when you have addiction issues crop up, it can't help but impact your other relationships. 

One day several years ago now, my husband and I were at odds with each other.  He finally blurted out that many years before that I had told our child that they didn't have to listen to him.  Well that isn't exactly what I said.  I said that they didn't have to listen to him, BUT be prepared to be in trouble all the time.  Of course that child was living at home and in school, but that and several other miss queues and we now are each others witnesses, i.e. we may not choose to talk but we do listen to the conversations. 

Communication is a huge issue.  There have been times when I have been so upset with my husband, and the last paragraph shows that my husband has felt the same, that I could have choked him. When your child is calling with another creative reason to get money, or they are in jail, it's kind of hard to hear what is being said with so many voices floating around in your mind.  Just from my own experience, I can't talk it through right in the moment, I need time to process.  My husband and I have talked about our differing needs.  I won't at we get it right all the time but it is working much better.

No comments: