Thursday, March 23, 2017

For Profit Prison Systems

For profit prisons are not working for our country.  First, the clothing has to be bought through their commissary system.  From what I understand that is a company started and owned by Bob Barker, yes, I'm outing Bob.  The problem is that the clothing doesn't last and costs much more than what you can buy it retail.  If I bought something that only lasted 3 months I dang sure wouldn't buy anything from them again.  Our prisoners don't have that choice.  Now if that isn't the behavior Bob Barker condones, then he needs to step in and get better quality goods.  I am giving him a chance to fix that problem.

Second, the medical care in the for profit prisons are lacking.  There is no differentiating between a violent criminal, drug addicts, or individuals with mental illness.  Everyone is lumped in together.  There are very few programs to help inmates to better their lives.  Why would you want a person to gain control over their lives if it meant they wouldn't come back like a revolving door.  I mean there aren't many classes to help inmates get treatment for mental illness or addiction.

Thirdly, it has been proven that for profit prisons are not as safe as federally run prisons.  There have been incidents where inmates are forced to fight, or fights break out and guards turn their backs.  Guards have been paid off so drugs can be brought in...it's just a mess and there doesn't seem to be any oversight.  As a reasonable person, I know this can't be all guards in the for profit prisons, but there are enough of them to give for profit prisons a bad name.  And Jeff Sessions wants to INCREASE the for profit prisons!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Is he just that naïve or getting a campaign contributions from these corporations? I think we need to know what his motives are.

Unfortunately the whole DOJ seems to have gone crazy.  Right now I just have the for profit prison experience.  I am wondering if the Federal system is just as jacked up.  If so then we need to start becoming active in making change.  When I sent a Christmas card to my son it was sent back twice.  Once because I used a red sharpie marker to write with.  The next card was sent back because it had glitter on it.  To be honest, I get it, I might have been sending drugs on the red or glittery part of the card.  Until this experience, I wouldn't have been that creative but I suppose others are.  So if the prison is going to be that picky about a Christmas card, then I think they could use that attention to detail to stop the other stuff and develop programs to help inmates from becoming repeat offenders.

http://www.salon.com/2013/09/23/6_shocking_revelations_about_how_private_prisons_make_money_partner/

I found this article to be really informative.

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2016/12/05/trump-sets-private-prisons-free 

This article describes how it all works.

No comments: